Chaste tree is a deciduous shrub very common in the Greek countryside that can reach a height of three meters. We can find it at lowcoastal areas and generally in wet locations. It is known since ancient times for the treatment of female diseases. The term agnus-castus comes from the Greek and Latin word "chaste". The ancient Greeks had found that shaste tree reduces sexual desire in men and the women used to put twigs of the tree under their bed in order to protect their chastity. Later monks in monasteries used to eat the seeds of the tree and because of the similar size and appearance with several grains of black pepper became known as Monk's pepper (pepper of the monks).
• It helps in PMS symptoms like bloating, breast swelling and irritation, depression and irritability.
• Effective in menstruation problems. Regulates the cycle when it is too small or large. It also helps to amenorrhea (lack of menstrual periods).
• The seeds of chaste tree affect the control centers (hypothalamus and pituitary gland) hormone of the reproductive organs helping their hormonal function.
• Improves balance between progesterone and estrogen
• Can stimulate pituitary regulating the secretion of luteinizing hormone (LH), the secretion of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). Also regulate the secretion of prolactin.
• Increases fertility. The seeds of chaste tree can help women with infertility problems when this is due to low progesterone levels.
• Seeds help polycystic ovarian syndrome and inflammation of the uterus due to the anti-inflammatory and antiseptic action.
• Effective in the symptoms of menopause.
• Effective in acne cases.
HOW TO USE - DOSAGE
The recommended quantity is 1g. (Half of a teaspoon). Braek the seeds to become dust (for best results) and pour into a cup of boiling water. Leave it for 15 minutes, strain and drink on an empty stomach half an hour before breakfast.
The results and benefits of the chaste tree will appear after drinking it for some months (usually after the quarter).
- Overdose can cause nausea, itching and insomnia.
- Consumption during pregnancy is not recommended. During breastfeeding (although it helps to milk production) the medical advise is required.
- Consumption by women that encounter medical problems such as endometriosis, fibroids, tumors is not recommended, because they may be worsened due to the effect of the hormones of chaste tree.
- The consumption is not recommended by women at IVF attempt process, or by women taking other auxiliary pills or contraceptive pill.
- Any hormonal therapy, or taking antipsychotics, antidepressants should not be combined with chaste tree consumption
- The consumption is not recommended by girls under 18 years